Talking to the planning staff is the first step residents should take when determining whether or not to make any changes to their property. Planning staff are available by appointment to meet with residents and developers to discuss proposals.
Town Council and Other Boards
The Basalt Town Council and its advisory boards rely heavily on the assistance of the Planning Department to help decide how the town should grow and develop. Along with these decisions comes the Planning Department's important responsibility of making sure that the impacts of development are paid for by those who benefit the most from that development. The Planning Department also helps the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Town Council review new developments. These development projects range from looking at the traffic and infrastructure impacts of a subdivision near Old Town Basalt to reviewing annexations into the town boundaries of properties over a hundred acres with associated dwelling units.
The planning staff also helps the Planning and Zoning Commission prepare master plans to guide Basalt's growth. Currently, the 2007 Basalt Master Plan is the town's signature document for outlining key planning policies. There are several other plans that have been adopted by the Town of Basalt as part of the Town's Master Plan. These Plan's include.
1. The River Stewardship Master Plan identifies how to make the river safer, enhance the riparian environment, and create river parks for all of Basalt to enjoy.
2. The Two Rivers Greenway Plan identifies a strategic plan for enhancing the recreational use within the corridor while maintaining two-way vehicular traffic. See also the more detailed plans for Phase I.
3. The El Jebel Sub-Area Plan was adopted in 2013 to update Town's Plan to be more consistent with the recently adopted Mid-Valley Master Plan.
4. The Basalt Parks, Open Space and Trails Master Plan was prepared by the Town's POST Committee to highlight where the Town should spend its Parks, Open Space and Sales Tax revenues to best meet community goals.
5. The Town recently adopted the Our Town Subarea Plan: An amendment to the 2007 Town of Basalt Master Plan. Check out Our Town Planning. Click here to review the Plan adopted by the Planning and Zoning Commission on October 20th and by the Town Council on November 24th.
Click here to see the latest Plans for the Basalt River Park .
Click here to see the package containing the Cost information for the Basalt River Park
Click here to see the package containing the detailed Cost information for the Basalt River Park
Information on Land Use Applications
Click here to review the Application to annex and zone the Stott's Mill PUD
Click here to review the Detailed Plan Application submitted by the Roaring Fork Conservancy and the Town of Basalt to approve the Conservancy's River Center and make additional Improvements to Old Pond Park in accordance with the requirements of Ordinance No. 15, Series of 2016