The Basalt Planning Department Staff consists of the Planning Director, the Assistant Planning Director, and two Staff Planners.
Making Changes to Your Property
Talking with the Planning Staff is the first step to take when considering changes to your property. Planning Staff is available by appointment to meet with residents and developers to discuss proposals. Please call 970-927-4701 to make an appointment.
Town Council & Other Boards
The Basalt Town Council and its advisory boards rely heavily on the assistance of the Planning Department in determining how the town should grow and develop. Along with these decisions comes the Planning Department’s important responsibility of ensuring the impacts of development are paid for by those who benefit the most from that development. The Planning Department also helps the Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council review new development applications. Development projects range from determining the traffic and infrastructure impacts of a subdivision near Old Town Basalt to reviewing annexations into the town boundaries of properties over a hundred acres with associated dwelling units.
Master Plans & Master Plan Update
Town Staff is working with CTA Architects and Engineers and Connect One Design on the new Master Plan.
The Draft 2020 Master Plan document has been prepared for review by the Town boards, the Town’s referral agencies and the public. The draft presented for review is based on input provided during the public outreach process and Worksessions held by the P&Z. The Town Council will have a Worksession with the P&Z on the Draft Plan on Tuesday January 14th.
The Draft 2020 Master Plan is rooted in community input. The Community input encompasses many voices. See Appendix A for details on the outreach.
Please send any comments to firstname.lastname@example.org with “2020 Master Plan Comments” in the subject line.
Access https://letstalk.basalt.net/ to find out more about the Basalt Master Plan process.
Currently, the 2007 Basalt Master Plan is the Town’s signature document for outlining key planning policies. There are several other plans that have been adopted by the Town of Basalt as part of the Town’s Master Plan, including:
- The River Stewardship Master Plan identifies ways to make the river safer, enhance the riparian environment, and create river parks for all of Basalt to enjoy.
- The Two Rivers Greenway Plan (PDF) identifies a strategic plan for enhancing the recreational use within the corridor while maintaining two-way vehicular traffic. See also the more detailed plans for Phase I (PDF).
- The El Jebel Sub-Area Plan (PDF) was adopted in 2013 to cause the Town’s Plan to be more consistent with the recently adopted Mid-Valley Master Plan.
- The Basalt Parks, Open Space and Trails Master Plan (PDF) was prepared by the Town’s POST Committee to highlight where the Town should spend its Parks, Open Space and Sales Tax revenues to best meet community goals.
- Our Town Subarea Plan: An amendment to the 2007 Town of Basalt Master Plan. Check out Our Town Planning. Click here to review the Plan adopted (PDF) by the Planning and Zoning Commission on October 20, 2016 and by the Town Council on November 24, 2016.
Additional Plans and Studies
- Basalt Climate Action Plan - adopted by Resolution No. 06, Series of 2017 and proposed to be adopted as part of the 2020 Master Plan.
- RFTA Destination 2040
- RFTA Regional Bicycle, Pedestrian, and Transit Access Plan (2015).
- 2014 Housing Conditions Report (PDF).
Information on Basalt River Park
- Click here to see the latest plans for the Basalt River Park
- Click here to view the Basalt River Park Development application.
Information on Land Use Applications
- Click here to view the Application for The Arts Campus at Willits, aka TACAW.
- Click here to review the Revised Southside Traffic Report (PDF).
- Click here to review the application submitted by the Aspen Skiing Company for a multi-family residential development at Block 9 of Willits Town Center. Click here for an update to the affordable housing plans.
Proposals and Bid Documents
- There are currently no proposals or bid documents.
- P&Z agenda packets are now located in the Agenda Center
Frequently Used Forms
- Affidavit of Public Notice (PDF)
- Development Application (PDF)
- Reimbursement Agreement (PDF)
- Special Events Application (PDF)