Basalt Avenue Pedestrian Underpass
The project is scheduled for completion on Friday, October 20, 2017.
As of September 1, the underpass is fully functional and open for public use. Final completion is on schedule for late October. The overall project is 90% complete and Basalt Avenue and State Highway 82 are in their final alignment. The structural elements are complete, but progress continues on the traffic signal and architectural items including railing and lighting. Major remaining work to be completed in September and October includes the pedestrian lighting, and the irrigation and landscaping.
The 13-month project is scheduled for completion in late October 2017. Here is the schedule with notes of our progress on the major phases of work for this project:
• September 2016–March 2017: North Phase
- Temporary bus stop placements (COMPLETE)
- Building temporary lanes vehicle traffic (COMPLETE)
- Removal of asphalt and underpass excavation/digging (COMPLETE)
- Retaining wall construction along Basalt Avenue (COMPLETE)
- Traffic switch to second detour configuration (COMPLETE)
• March 2017–August 2017: South Phase
- Asphalt, excavation and retaining wall work (COMPLETE)
- Reactivation of BRT stations (COMPLETE)
- Trail construction (COMPLETE)
- Final pavement, signals, striping, drainage, safety work (IN PROGRESS)
• September 2017–October 20, 2017: Final Phase
- Curb, gutter and guardrail installation (IN PROGRESS)
- Final striping and landscaping (IN PROGRESS)
In September 2016, the Town of Basalt began constructing a pedestrian underpass beneath State Highway 82 at mile point 23.1. The project will provide safety improvements for all modes of transportation by allowing non-motorist traffic to pass under the highway.
The completed underpass will connect the Roaring Fork Transportation Authority parking lot with the Basalt Store front and Bus Rapid Transit stations located at the intersection. Residents will also have easier, more convenient access to schools located to the north and south of the project.
The new, fully illuminated underpass is designed to be 140 feet long, 16 feet wide, and up to 9 feet tall. The construction of the underground path, combined with the installation of new traffic signals and an upgraded storm water drainage system, is anticipated to improve the flow of traffic and pedestrian safety along the highway. The Town of Basalt awarded Oldcastle/United companies the $6.2 million bid for this project.
Normal working hours for the project are Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. No work is planned on holidays or weekends.
Traffic and Pedestrian Impacts
Traffic impacts to travelers on State Highway 82 and Basalt Avenue should be minimal for the remainder of the project.
Please remember that traffic speeds remain reduced to 35 mph on State Highway 82 through the work zone. Continue to use caution while traveling through the construction zone and follow flaggers’ directions.
Contact the Project Team
If you have questions about the project, please call the project hotline or email the public information team. You will receive a response within 24 business hours.
Project Update Links
November 1, 2016: Project Update and Traffic Information (PDF)
November 1, 2016: Project Information Video
September 28, 2016: Project Update (PDF)
September 2016: Project Announcement (PDF)
April 16, 2015: Basalt Underpass_North Entry Perspective Rendering (PDF)